Avon Shimmering Sapphire SuperShock Gel Eyeliner Review

 Avon calls their SuperShock eyeliners "a glide on gel to line your eyes with precision". Avon recently introduced two new shades, I grabbed one of them, Shimmering Sapphire. Each eyeliner contains .14 oz (4g). The regular retail price for the SuperShock liners is $7, but Avon almost always offers some sort of sale. I got mine for $3.99. Avon warns that these gel liners are not meant for use on the waterline. Avon does not test on animals, except in their Chiense market. This liner was made in China. Avon products can be purchased through the brand's website or through your local Avon sales representative.

 I really like the SuperShock gel liner packaging. Each liner comes in a standard black cardboard Avon box. The box offers the product name directions, and a full ingredient list. The product comes in a cute little glass pot with a rounded bottom. Protecting the liner from drying out is a black screw on cap. The Avon and SuperShock logos are printed on the cap in silver lettering.
 If you recall my review of the Metallic Teal SuperShock Gel Eyeliner, I was really unimpressed initially, but came to like it after I worked through the top layer. I expected the same thing to happen with Shimmering Sapphire, but alas, it didn't work out that way. This gel eyeliner is very dense and hard, making it difficult to pick up product on my brush. Even when my brush is thoroughly coated, its hard to get Shimmering Sapphire to apply without dragging and skipping along the lash line. The color payoff for this shade is very low, I need at least two passes for it to really show up. I do have one nice thing to say about this gel liner, it wears really well. No flaking, fading, or smudging for upwards of eight hours.
 The color of Shimmering Sapphire is gorgeous. In the jar it looks like a deep but bright blue with blue micro glitter. It swatches to be a slightly less bright but still lovely blue. Unfortunately, on the eye it applies as a dull navy. I'm a big fan of bright blue liners with otherwise neutral looks, so I was prety disappointed by how poorly this shade translates from the jar to the lid.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to return Avon's Shimmering Sapphire SuperShock Gel Eyeliner. The texture is poor, as is the application and color payoff. The shade is stunning in the jar, but weak and boring on the eye. I'm going to stick with Metallic Teal if I want a pop of bright gel eyeliner. I believe Shimmering Sapphire is a limited edition shade, but even if it isn't I don't expect to see it in many future Avon catalogs. I don't plan to purchase anymore SuperShock Gel Eyeliners in the future, there are better options out there. 



Ingredients:
Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyethylene, Synthetic Fluophologopite, Hydrogenated Polycyclopentadiene, Di-PPG-3, Myristyl Ether Adipite, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogentated Polyisobutene, Silica, Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Acrylates Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hydroxyapatite, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Zinc Oxides

May Contain:
Mica, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Manganese Violet, Titanium Oxide, Carmine, Blue 1, Ferric Ferrocyanide 



3 comments

  1. It's a shame because I've heard so much good about these maybe try the pencils? I hear they are amazing

    www.andrewjamesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the American version of the SuperShock pencils and they really are great!

      Delete