Sample Say So: theBalm Meet Matte Matt Batali Eyeshadow Review




TheBalm's Meet Matt(e) is this vintage themed brand's all matte eyeshadow palette. I've heard lots of good stuff about the palette, so I was excited to receive a sample of one of the nine eyeshadows in my Ipsy bag. The shade I received was Matt Batali, a very dark brown. This is a decently sized sample, offering .9g (.03 oz). TheBalm does not currently sell their Meet Matt(e) eyeshadows as singles, but hey that could always change. The full size Meet Matt(e) palette contains 9 eyeshadows (9.5g, .33 oz) and retails for $34.50. theBalm does not test on animals. This eyeshadow was made in America. TheBalm products can be bought through the brand's website, and can occasionally be found at TJ Maxx and Marshall's for a discounted price. theBalm is also frequently features on HauteLook
 The packaging for this eyeshadow sample is kinda precious. It looks just like a tiny version of the palette. The front cover features a vintage style drawing of Matt, a handsome man in a suit. The back of the sample gives a full ingredient list and some company info. This petite "palette" has a magnetic closure and flips open to reveal a small pan of eyeshadow, theBalm logo, and the shade name.
 Matt Batali's formula has it's ups and downs. Like a majority of matte eyeshadows, Matt Batali could have better application. It goes on a tad patchy, but it's workable. Unlike many mattes, which are typically hard to blend, Matt Batali is almost a little too easy to blend, it can be blended away to nothing if you're not careful, which is really strange for a dark matte. This eyeshadow is smooth, it doesn't kick up much excess powder in the pan. I experience an excusable amount of fallout when I apply Matt Batali, but what's strange is that it seems to smear a little. Half way though the day I sometimes find a little bit of Matt Batali hanging out on my cheeks..like not the part under my eyes, but like the actual apple of my cheek. How does it get there? Matt Batali wear is only ok, fading after about four hours and creasing after six.
 Matt Batali is a great basic, matte (duh), dark brown. This shade has some versatility, it can be a soft brown when blended out, or nearly black when packed on heavily. Matt Batali has a very neutral undertone, so it'll suit almost anyone. There really isn't much to say about the color it's self, it's a little plain, but in a good, user friendly way. I can only imagine that Matt Batali is easily duped. Matt Batali's color payoff is only ok, but it really gives a rich layer of color over any primer. I love using this deep brown shadow in the outer corner, and it makes a great eyeliner too.
TheBalm's Matt Batali is nice, but it doesn't make me want to run out and get the whole Meet Matt(e) palette. TheBalm's matte eyeshadow formula is decent, but I much prefer their Shady Lady eyeshadows. Matt Batali is a great brown shade that I'll get a lot of use out of, I love pairing it with my Naked2 Palette (which lacks a good matte non-brown shade). That being said, I wouldn't repurchase Matt Batali if theBalm ever sold it as a single, nor would I recommend it. I think a similar shade could be found for a cheaper price.

Ingredients:
Talc, Corn Starch, Zinc Stearate, Luroyl Lysine, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Trigylcerides, Isononyl Isononanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Isopentyldiol 

May Contain:
Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines, Carmine, Chromium Oxide Green, Manganese Violet, Blue 1, Yellow 5, Black 2 

This post contains an affiliated link. 

Leave a Comment

  1. I love The Balm shadows! I think they are kind of expensive unless you catch them on sale :) This color is so pretty!

    Take Care,
    Mandy Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think TheBalm is a little bit overpriced, but for the most part their products are worth it. Plus the deals they offer on Hautelook are unbeatable.

      Delete
  2. Why would you even want to meet matt ;-;

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...