Benefit They're Real! Mascara Review

 Benefit's They're Real! is a wildly popular mascara. Never have I ever wanted to try a mascara so badly, so I was overjoyed to get a mini tube as a gift with purchase at Ulta. Benefit says that this mascara will "lengthen, curl, volumize, lift, and separate. Our jet black, long wearing formula won't smudge or dry out. A specially designed brush reveals lashes you never knew you had!" Benefit claims that their consumer panelists say "94% more visible lift and volume", "90% base to tip curl" and "100% say long wearing results". Benefit's They're Real! mascara retails for $23 for an 8.5g (.3oz) tube. Don't want to invest in a full size? This mascara is also available in a $10 mini tube, and in multiple Benefit value kits. It's also frequently offered as a gift with purchase. Benefit does not test on animals. This mascara was made in France. Benefit products can be purchased through the brand's website, at Benefit counters and free standing boutiques, Sephora, and Ulta.
 Like just about every Benefit product, They're Real! comes in pretty cute packaging. The mascara comes in a black cardboard box. The name of the product is printed on the front of the box, clinical claims and a "before and after" photo can be found on the side of the box. Directions and a full ingredient list are offered on the back of the box. The mascara's tube is grey and topped with a silver metal cap. The name of the mascara is printed vertically on the tube in black and orange lettering.
 What's supposed to make They're Real! so special is the brush. They're Real!'s brush is quite large, about an inch long. The rubber bristles are pretty average and uniform in length, except at the tip of the brush, which comes to a rounded poit. The bristles on the tip are significantly longer than the ones on the body of the brush; these longer bristles are meant to separate and catch the shortest lashes. These elongated bristles are loaded with product and can be difficult to clean off. Benefit has a suggested method for using this unique brush. You're meant to wiggle and sweep the brush from root to tip, as usual, but you're then meant to turn the brush vertically and use the rounded tip to separate and add lift to the lashes.
 So how does that work out for me? Not so well, sadly. I find Benefit's They're Real! very clumpy, heavy, and hard on the lashes. One coat of this mascara looks nice, but doesn't deliver the dramatic false lash look Benefit promises. Well, that's an easy fix right? Just apply another coat or two. It's not that simple with They're Real!, this mascara begins to clump immediately when I begin to apply the second coat. I've tried a few application methods, including the one suggested by Benefit, all with no luck. The formula is very heavy and quite stiff on the lashes, causing my lashes to lose any curl they had and stick almost straight out. They're Real! is quite lengthening, but the length is canceled out by the heavy formula. This mascara also leaves weird little balls of product at the tips of my lashes that eventually flake off if I don't manually remove them. So They're Real doesn't give me dramatic lashes, but does it live up to the long wearing claim? Oh my yes. Aside from the weird clumps on the tips of the lashes, They're Real stays in place all day. It's actually pretty difficult to remove even with my best makeup remover. I don't think this mascara is truly waterproof, but it certainly performs that way.
[That middle lash..wat?]
 Benefit's They're Real! is one of their bestselling, most buzzed about products. Its been recommended to be by friends and bloggers alike. I'm so disappointed that it didn't work out for me. Application can take some time and practice. The formula doesn't layer well, more than two light coats and my lashes stick together. The length They're Real delivers is awesome, but they stiff, heavy formula uncurls my lashes, and what good is length without curl? If you're looking for a super long lasting but non-waterproof mascara, Benefit's They're Real! might be a good choice for you. I wouldn't repurchase this mascara, I'll stick to BadGal Lash when it comes to Benefit mascaras. I really wish They're Real! was as great as it is for almost every one else. If you're looking to try this mascara out, check your local Sephora or Ulta for the mini tube first. 


Ingredients:
WATER (AQUA), PARAFFIN, POLYBUTENE, STYRENE/ACRYLATES/AMMONIUM METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, C18-36 ACID TRIGLYCERIDE, PALMITIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, VP/EICOSENE COPOLYMER, ACACIA SENEGAL GUM, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, PHENOXYETHANOL, TETRASODIUM EDTA, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, SODIUM LAURETH-12 SULFATE, GLYCERIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SERICIN, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, TILIA TOMENTOSA BUD EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, BHT, SORBIC ACID.

MAY CONTAIN:
 IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288), CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN (CI 77289), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)]



18 comments

  1. I have been wanting to try this mascara forever, sorry it didn't work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you if you get to try it. It seems like it works out well for a lot of people.

      Delete
  2. I agree that this impossible to get off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes three different kinds of makeup remover to get this stuff off. I've had many eyelash casualties.

      Delete
  3. try the new covergirl clump crusher! im not a fan of CG but i was really surprised with how well it worked for me. i had been looking for drugstore mascaras and they all were heavy and clumpy, but i think i finally found my clump crusher! keep up with the reviews, i love reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Clump Crusher and I love it! I'm glad you love it too! And thanks <3

      Delete
  4. I've been looking into this mascara and am now glad I've held off! I'm stopping by from the Bright Side Beauty Blog hop and am now a follower :D
    canvas-of-a-face.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your tube is a new tube then let it dry out for a few weeks. I have a mini of Benefit They're Real and mine clumped like crazy when I first got it. When it's less wet and/or when there's less product in the tube, it worked much better for me.

    http://beautyinthebreakdown4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, my tube is actually kinda old. It was great the absolute first time I used it, then it went downhill from there. :(

      Delete
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like this highly-raved mascara. As you said, it is extremely clumpy and you can only apply one coat. After one coats, it gets so " spider legs" like which is too dramatic for my everyday look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it make you feel like the odd one out not to like it? Maybe we just have the wrong last type.

      Delete
  7. Those are definitely real lashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real icky lashes.I bet this mascara would look great on you.

      Delete
  8. I really liked this, sorry you had a bad experience! I didn't get it again though because of the price. I have been using a TON of mascara samples and now I LOVE YSL Shocking. For drugstore I like L'Oreal Million Lashes Diamonds (LE but I just saw some at Giant Eagle) and Power Volume 24H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mascara's results are so variable. :( That's great that it works for you though. I still have yet to try a L'Oreal mascara

      Delete
  9. I had the same issue.one coat was all I could do, it gives awsome length but i just didnt like the clumpy sticky heavy feeling....altho with my metal lash comb I did have okay result with first a coat of T real&then a coat of benifts bad gal lash mascara.

    ReplyDelete