Monday, January 14, 2013

Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation Review (Vanilla 120)

 Revlon has a pretty good track record when it comes to foundations, so why is Nearly Naked my first one? I don't know really! I was on the fence about getting this foundation because I have a handful of half empty foundations and bb creams that I wanted to finish before adding any new ones to my collection, but out of all the recently released foundations, this one appealed to me most, so I grabbed a bottle as soon as I could. Revlon says that this liquid foundation is "so refreshingly light, it melts right in, creating a fresh, even look, so the only one who knows you're wearing makeup is you!". Revlon always seems to offer a fairly good shade range; Nearly Naked is available in sixteen shades, I have the shade Vanilla (120), the second lightest, and the lightest I've seen for sale in stores. Nearly Naked contains SPF 20. I bought my bottle at Walmart for a reasonable $7.49, like most Revlon foundations it'll sell for between $7-11, depending on where you buy. Revlon does not test on animals. This foundation was made in America.

 This foundation's packaging looks nice, but it isn't the most functional. The bottle is rectangular and made of sturdy feeling glass. A label is affixed to the front of the bottle, featuring the name of the product and the Revlon logo, written in silver lettering, along with the shade name. Sadly, this lettering is starting to rub off already! You know how in yesterday's Olay Complete Moisturizer Review I said not to be turned off by your products having "drug facts" labels? Well, I still believe that, but I do find it a little concerning that Revlon Nearly Naked's drug facts peel off sticker turns out to be an eleven page mini-pamphlet. I am not even exaggerating. The bottle is topped off with a white, square plastic cap that somehow makes the bottle seem fancy. I don't know, for some reason white packaging of any sort makes me think high end, maybe I'm just easily impressed. Removing the cap reveals an open hole for pouring out product. Why Revlon? Why not a pump? Your other foundations have pumps, and the consistency of this one is not conducive to being pump-free. It's far too easy to overpour, I do almost every time I use Nearly Naked.
 Revlon's Nearly Naked liquid foundation is really...liquidy. Revlon says this foundation's "buildable coverage and seamless blending will cover flaws and perfect your skin's tone and texture with no heavy, cakey, greasy mess." With a consistency this thin, there's no way it could be heavy! This super lightweight foundation is best applied with fingers or a sponge - I use my trusty Avon Precision Grip Blender. I get light buy adequate coverage from Nearly Naked, but I feel like a second "coat" could boost the coverage up to medium without getting cakey. Nearly Naked is such an apt name for this foundation! My skin looks very, very natural when I wear this liquid foundation. My redness is reduced down to a soft rosiness, my acne scars are diminished, and my complexion looks more even, overall. The finish of this foundation is very natural, not too matte or dewy, it looks like healthy, makeup-free skin! You know how Revlon claimed no one will know I'm wearing foundation? Funny they say that, I've gotten comments on how healthy my skin looks, and that it looks like I'm not wearing makeup while wearing this. Revlon's Nearly Naked has never oxidized on me, which is great, but I can't seem to get all day wear from it. Nearly Naked gives me roughly six hours of wear before it starts to break down. Even after it's started to melt away this foundation doesn't great greasy on me, which is pretty impressive. Revlon's Nearly Naked is so comfortable to wear, it truly feels like I'm not wearing foundation.
 Is Revlon's Vanilla a good color match for me? Yes, if the key word is "good". It suits me, but it's not quite perfect. If the lightest shade Ivory was available to me, I'd opt for that one over Vanilla, but this will certainly do. This shade is only the tiniest bit dark for me, it's the undertone that's wrong. Vanilla has a soft yellow undertone to it, nothing anyone would notice unless they were really analyzing my skin. Compared to Rimmel's Match Perfection, the yellow undertone is nothing. I swatched Nearly Naked along with all my other foundations, and this is my second best match after Maybelline's FitMe 110.
Revlon's Nearly Naked Foundation is wonderful for day to day wear, but I'll need something more for work days. The finish and coverage is just right for me, this is probably the most natural looking, skin-like foundation that I've tried. The color matches me pretty well, but I think I'd choose the lightest shade if I repurchase. I feel like the $7-11 price tag is fair, even better if I can score a deal on it. I have noticed that I seem to be going through the bottle quickly, which is strange because I feel like I use less of this foundation. Before I wrap things up, I should mention that some people have claimed that Nearly Naked is similar to or even a dupe for high end foundations like Nars' Sheer Glow and Urban Decay's Naked Skin, I wouldn't know though, I've tried neither. I do find this foundation somewhat similar to Maybelline's FitMe. I really like this liquid foundation, it may be my new favorite! I recommend Revlon's Nearly Naked foundation if you have dry to slightly oily skin and want a natural looking foundation with light to medium coverage. 


Active Ingredients (SPF):
Octinoxate (3.5%), Titanium Dioxide (1.9%)

Inactive Ingredients:
Aqua (Water (Eau)), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Glycerin, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Boron Nitrade, Phenyl Trimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Niacinamid, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Lecithin, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Phytosteryl Canola Glycerides, Palmitic Acid, Oleic Acid, Phytosphingosine, Ceramide 6 II, Cholesterol, Linoleic Acid, Ceramide 3, Tocopherol, Ceramide 1, Tiolein, Sodium Lauroyl, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolumer, Alumina, Silica, Sodium Citrate, Dipropylene Glycol, Laureth-7, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methoxy Amodimethicone/Silsequioxane Copolymer, Methicone, Stearic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.

WAT 

8 comments:

  1. Completely agree, it needs a pump! So annoying!

    Now following from the blog hop!

    xo
    Ange

    www.hairsprayandhighheels.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revlon actually does test on animals, because their products are sold in China, where animal testing is required by law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the testing in the Chinese market is done by a third party and not the company it's self? Please let me know if I'm wrong though, provide a link if you can, just so I can keep it around for reference? =D

      Delete
  3. Many companies have decided to sell in China, thus eliminating their cruelty-free status. PETA has put Revlon on their "Do Test" list. Here is a link with more information: http://www.ecouterre.com/peta-buys-revlon-stock-attempts-to-uncover-animal-testing-policies/

    It's really frustrating! It's 2013, companies should be phasing out animal testing, but it appears that profit is more important to them than animal welfare. More and more companies are either deciding to sell in China, or they are being sold to large corporations that test (which is the case with L'Oreal buying Urban Decay).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has a really nice natural looking finish :) Looks really nice! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really nice! :o I thank you for including the before and after pictures; really helpful! Tempted to give this a try now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I think I'll be doing that for all my foundation/bb cream reviews from now on. Try it, it's pretty nice if it suits your needs.

      Delete
  6. buy a 30ml airless pump bottle from ebay and once you've washed it out pour your foundation in. peel the clear labels off the old bottle and stick them on the new one. i did this for revlon colorstay which infamously comes without a pump. voila - pump bottle foundation without wastage, a perfectly measured dose every time!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Don't use my comments as advertising space. Please don't ask for a follow back, I check every blog that follows me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...