Revlon Color Burst Lip Butter - Candy Apple - Review




 Revlon's Color Burst Lip Butters are super popular lip balm/lipstick hybrids. Just about everyone has at least one, and even if they don't they've read countless reviews on them. Revlon says that these moisturizing, sheer to medium opacity lipsticks contain coconut, mango, and shea butters to hydrate and boost lip moisture but 156%. No. Anyway, Revlon also says that the "gel formula provides supercharged hydration and glides on lips buttery smooth". This formula is so apparently hydrating that 94% of women who tried these butters felt "softer, smoother, instantly hydrated lips". Revlon offers 20 shades of their Color Burst Lip Butters, so there's at least a shade or two for everybody. I have Cherry Tart, and the subject of this review, Candy Apple. I reviewed Cherry Tart when the line first launched. I recently bought Candy Apple at Ulta for $5.43 for 2.5g (.09oz). I must've had a coupon or something, because they usually sell for about $7.50. This product was made in the USA. Revlon does not test on animals.
I really love the packaging for the Color Burst Lip Butters. The tubes are so cute and a little bit on the fancy side, futuristic as my roommate called them. Like I said in my last review, they really must look cool if guys are commenting on the packaging. The square plastic cap is made of translucent plastic that matches the shade, in the case of Candy Apple, an orangey red. There is a 3D quilted design on two sides of the cap, the signature mark of the Color Burst line. I really like the cute detail and texture that it adds to the packaging, it's kinda classy for the drugstore. The black base of the twist up tube bears the Revlon logo. The shade name and number can be found on a sticker on the bottom of the tube. A full ingredient list and some company info can be found on a peel off sticker on one of the non-quilted sides. I just really adore the look and feel of this lipstick's packaging. It seems sturdy too, so feel free to toss your lip butter in your purse or pocket. The packaging is a little too sturdy, it can actually be really difficult to get the cap off. Sorry that turned into one of my famous Revlon packaging rants. I just really..I'll stop.
 The texture of Revlon's Candy Apple Lip Butter is very smooth, silky even. However it grabs strangely when applied as you'll see in my swatches. Initially it feels pretty moisturizing but as the lipstick settles onto the lips it becomes stickier and dries. Not balm lip at all, no long term moisture to speak of. Actually my last Lip Butter experience resulted in horrendously dry, chapped lips to the point that they bled. Nothing healed them except Maybelline's Baby Lips. It was terrible.  I haven't experienced the same situation with Candy Apple, luckily. I actually bought Candy Apple to see if the terrible chapping was a one off or a universal thing with the line. Even though Candy Apple didn't wreck my lips, I still don't dig the feel of it on my lips, it's oddly distracting. I should make mention that the Color Burst Lip Butter line is flavorless and scentless, which I usually wouldn't mind, but in their case I think it's a little unfortunate just because they all have really yummy names. Wouldn't you like Candy Apple to taste like it's name? NOM.
 Candy Apple is a sheer, neutral red. There is a soft orangey tone to it, but it doesn't really pull through on the lips. On the lips, Candy Aple looks like a sheer version of the classic, straight up red lip. A color most can pull off. Though it is sheer, a few passes around the lips can really build up the color. I was surprised by Candy Apple's finish, it's no where near as glossy as Cherry Tart. Candy Apple has more of a satiny finish to it, I really like to layer ELF's Super Glossy Lip Shine in Honey Do over it for that really sexy juicy lip look. The wear for Candy Apple is decent, it seems to be about 1 1/2 to 2 hours on me, maybe a little bit longer if I wear a gloss over it. That's pretty reasonable wear for a sheer, balm like lipstick.
Revlon's Candy Apple Color Burst Lip Butter is pretty good. It applies a little patchy, but it can be worked with and the texture is decent. I still don't find them moisturizing and I don't know why so many people go nuts about them. These lip butters really aren't that fantastic, everyone needs to calm down about them, it's been nearly a year and I still hear tons of buzz about them. They were recently released in Australia while I was there, and it was like..the second coming of lip butters, so I had to ride the wave of "OMFG" twice. I love the packaging and the color of Candy Apple, both are really pretty. I likely wouldn't repurchase either of my Revlon Lip Butters, but I plan to keep wearing Candy Apple on a frequent basis. I'm so glad it didn't wreck my lips the way Cherry Tart did. I recommend this lip color if the color catches your eye, or if you want to wear a red lip but feel a little shy about it. 


Ingredients:
Polybutene, Bis-Diglyceryl, Polyacyladipate-2, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Octyldodecanol, Petrolatum, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Jojoba Seed Oil, Polyethelyne,Ozokerite, Cetyl PEG 10/1, Dimethicone, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl 4, Isosterate, Bees Wax, Zinc Ricinoleate, Squalane, Silica, Shea Butter, Mango Seed Butter, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Coconut Oil, Synthetic Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl, PPG-20, Crosspolymer, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Isosterate, Parfum, BHT, Caprylyl Glycol, 1-2 Hexanediol

May Contain:
Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Carmine, Blue 1 Lake, Red 6 Lake, 

Leave a Comment

  1. I have cherry tart and it makes my lips really soft and moisturized.I think you might have gotten a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, both lip butters gave me the same results. Everyone is different and their lips respond differently.

      Delete
  2. I think these things are over-rated so I don't see myself buying them. If ever someone wants me to review one, I might then. But otherwise, no :p Great review on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good review! Haha "the second coming" I'm in Oz so am discovering them now :) Going to read the rest of your blog, you've made me lol this morning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...