China Glaze Exotic Encounters Nail Lacquer Review




 Exotic Encounters is one of the twelve shades from China Glaze's Fall 2012 On Safari Collection. This collection is limited edition and is still currently available. I had a really hard time choosing between Exotic Encounters and Man Hunt but this dark teal won out. I bought my 14ml (.5fl oz) bottle at Sally's for $4.99. China Glaze polishes tend to vary in price between $3-8, depending where you buy. China Glaze does not test on animals and makes their products in the USA. The brand claims that their formula is free of DBT, Toluene, and Formaldehyde, but I've found formaldehyde in the ingredient list before.
 I like China Glaze's bottle, it's round, glass, and has a lot of weight to it. The tall, black, texturized plastic cap has the China Glaze logo embossed on the top of it. The front of the bottle is simple, just the name of the product and brand logo. Product and company info can be found on the sides and back of the bottle. Shade name and a full ingredient list are available on a peel off sticker on the bottom of the bottle. China Glaze's brush is long, thin, and flat. The bristles never splay and are quite flexible. I think China Glaze's lacquers have my favorite brushes.
 Exotic Encounters has a thinner formula than many China Glaze lacquers, it drips off the brush. Despite the thin consistency, this shade is nearly opaque in one coat, fully opaque in two. Like all China Glazes this polish applies very smoothly, no bubbling, separating or anything. You can even apply the second coat almost immediately without ruining the first one. Exotic Encounters dries at a moderate pace, about a minute or so per coat. Reasonable, but not fast drying.
 Exotic Encounters is an interesting color. It's not quite a dark green, but it's also too dark to really be called a teal. This shade has a grey aspect to it, it's deep and muted, you can tell it was made for a fall collection. This cool teal-green has a beautiful, very glossy cream finish. I have a couple other teals, but none of them are this interesting or dark. I wouldn't necessarily call Exotic Encounters exotic, but a teal like this one is something special, and it's so wonderfully shiny!
 Unfortunately, Exotic Encounters doesn't wear as well on me as most China Glazes do. I typically get 4-6 days of wear from China Glaze polishes, nearly chip free. Exotic Encounters still wears on me for a fairly good time, about 3 days, but tip wear is significant with a bit of chipping. Perhaps its from the thinner formula. Exotic Encounters should be used with a base coat because it does stain, but not badly. Removal is no trouble at all, like most cream finish polishes.
China Glaze's Exotic Encounters is a fantastically glossy, deep, interesting teal. If you plan on wearing teals or jewel tones this fall, please consider this polish, and do it soon, I'm not sure how much longer this collection will be available. Exotic Encounters formula isn't quite up to par with what I expect from this brand, but it's still passable. I probably wouldn't repurchase this shade if it became permanent, but I will continue to enjoy it throughout the season. I think this may be the most beautiful, unique non-glitter polish in the On Safari collection.

Ingredients:
Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Propyl Acetate, Tosylamide, Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trimethyl Pentanyl Dissobutyrate, Tripenthyl Phosphate, Ethyl Tosylamide, Camphor, Sterakonium, Betonite, Diacetone Alcohol, Sterakonium Hectorite, Benzophenone, Citric Acid, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Blue 1, Iron Oxides, Yellow 5, Titanium Dioxides 

Leave a Comment

  1. Pretty. If I was still using their polishes, I would get this, but since I'm doing Shellac now I can't.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...