Maybelline The Colossal Cat Eyes Volume Express Mascara Review




 Maybelline's The Colossal Cat Eyes mascara is a spin off of the much loved The Colossal Volume Express. I'm pretty sure this mascara is not available in the United States, I've never seen it. I'm a big fan of Volume Express mascaras, I've been admiring this one from a far for about two years. I randomly spotted this mascara out of the corner of my eye at Big  W. I was so excited I bought two, for $7AUD each. Colossal Cat Eyes is only available in one shade, Glam Black. Maybelline says that this mascara gives Colossal a new feline edge. The "collagen formula and claw brush plumps and spikes out lashes at the corners for a wild cat eye look". This mascara is ophthalmologist tested and safe for lens wearers. This mascara was made in Italy. Unfortunately Maybelline products are tested on animals. I forgot to mention, this mascara contains 9.5ml.
 Packaging for this Volume Express mascara is a little different from what we're used to in the States. It's the same general shape, but it's pointer at both ends. The tube is bright yellow, just like the normal Colossal tube. Metallic orange leopard spots adorn the cap. The name of the mascara is written on the front of the tube, also in metallic orange. The back of the tube features a description of the brush, as well as a little bit of company info.
 The brush seems to have two names, the "Claw Brush', and the "Feline Applicator". I prefer to call in the Claw Brush, because I am not applying felines, like the latter name would imply. The brush is curved, very similar to the Great Lash Curved brush, but a little thinner. The shape of the brush is excellent for my almond shaped eyes, and allows me to coat my bottom lashes in one clean sweep, no mess involved. The brush is very well designed, it makes every lash easily accessible, and gets right to the roots of my lashes.
 So does Cat Eyes deliver on it's name? Yeah, it does. I'm not sure how, but it does. It really lifts the lashes in my outer corners. Cat Eyes lengthens all my lashes, but it's most significant in the corners. Cat Eye's doesn't really volumize my lashes, it's really more of a lifting mascara at heart with a little bit of bonus length. The results are what I'd consider naturally dramatic, if that can make any sense. My lashes still look fairly natural, but more flared. It's a nice effect, but I prefer am more dramatic lash look.
 Unfortunately, Colossal Cat Eyes is a very flaky mascara. Like it begins to flake less than an hour after application,  half the mascara is gone by 5 hours of wear, leaving me with little black spots all over my cheeks. I rarely have flaking issues with mascara, this is just awful. If you're a glass half full kind of person, look on the bright side, Cat Eyes doesn't smudge. Though it's not waterproof, Cat Eyes can be a little stubborn when you try to remove it. It's nothing a good oil based remover can't deal with though. Just plain cleanser and water can get it off too, if you put in enough effort, but you might lose a lash or two.
I guess we're not missing out too much on Maybelline's Colossal Cat Eyes Volume Express. I'd rather just repurchased the classic Colossal, one of my all time favorite mascaras. The cat eye effect is nice, but not as dramatic as I would've liked. The brush is great though, I really love it. Wear is kinda sucky, it's one of the flakiest mascaras I've ever used. I probably wouldn't repurchase this mascara, but I'm glad I got to try Colossal Cat Eyes, only because I've been curious for so long. I wouldn't recommend this mascara if it's available to you, and I don't think you should be sad if it isn't.

See all my Maybelline Volume Express Mascara Reviews here

Ingredients Unavailable. 

Leave a Comment

  1. I'd sure hope that we're not applying felines. O.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The formula is made of liquified cat hairs.

      Delete
  2. I definitely love how it makes your eyes look!

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled on your blog, lol. But yeah, that mascara is available in the US since I saw a couple of people review it. I heard a lot of people didn't like it that much. Or at least it's not that much different than the others in the Maybelline line. It does look really dramatic on you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybelline released it just a couple days after I reviewed it. =D. It's an ok mascara, just really flakey for me.

      Delete
  4. Wish I saw this before I finally bought it for myself. They just recently started selling this in the states. I don't get that great of results.

    PS I found your blog on the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! It did not add alot of length for me but it adds volume and it does not clump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it works for you! Mascara is such a personalized thing.

      Delete
  6. "I prefer to call in the Claw Brush, because I am not applying felines, like the latter name would imply."

    lmfao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really though, what is a feline applicator? It definitely doesn't sound like something I should put near my eyes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...