Revlon Gothic Just Bitten Lip Stain Review




 Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stains are marker style lip stains with a clear lip balm attached to the end. Just Bitten is "kiss proof color with soft shine, meets a moisturizing balm for supreme comfort." These stains are available in 15 shades. I have the color Gothic, a bright red. Revlon products are not tested on animals. This stain was made in the USA, as are most Revlon products. I can't find the amount of product you get in each pen, actually Revlon barely offers any info on their product on their website. I purchased this stain on sale at Rite Aid for $4.99 on sale, but they usually retail between $8 and $12, depending on where you buy them. My local Rite Aid sells them for $10.99, so I scored quite a deal!

 Just Bitten Lip Stains come in color coordinated tubes with loosely attached caps, which isn't good considering marker style lip stains already dry out easily. The name of the product, and the name of the color are written on the tube in silver lettering. It looks pretty nice. Once again, Revlon comes out with attractive packaging, specifically by drugstore standard. I really wish the caps were sturdier and stayed on better. I wouldn't suggest throwing this product into your purse or makeup bag unsupervised. I also wish Revlon would offer more product information on the tube and on the website.
 The felt marker tip is well saturated with product and comes to a rounded tip. Not too conducive to drawing thin lines to line the lips, but because of the additional width you need fewer swipes to cover your lips. Application is easy, but Gothic can go on  a bit uneven and needs two coats to be fully opaque, however it's no where near as sheer as most lip stains are. Some of the more active parts of your lips, such as the corner of your mouth may need extra coats to keep the color even. No matter how many coats you apply, the color will not show up even in close up flash photography. I learned that today while taking pictures for this post. It will appear even irl though, and that's what matters, at least on a daily basis.
The color of Gothic is kinda great, but it definitely doesn't suit the name. Gothic sounds like it would be a deep, plummy color or a blackened purple, or at least a deeper, more burgundy red. Gothic is actually a bright, almost blood red when first applied, that dries down to a more classic, red lip color. It leans just a little bit cool, but could be considered neutral. Obviously, like with most lip stains, the resulting color varies on the natural color of your lip. The swatch on my arm looks like a different color than how it appears on my lips.Gothic suits me really well, which is great because I tend to have a harder time pulling off red lips, because of my pink cheeks and nose. I, personally think it looks quite good on me, though Roommate makes hooker jokes, and mum says it's almost overwhelming. What do they know though? 
 The balm on the end is controversial. Not many people seem to like it. Lots of people say that their balm popped out or broke off the very first time they applied it. I have yet to have any issues with this balm, but it's also not anything to write home about. It's pretty much just regular chapstick stuck on to a lip stain. It's not really moisturizing, but it adds a nice shine to the matte stain.
Of the four lip stains I've tried, Just Bitten is probably the most comfortable. It's a little, tiny bit drying, but nothing the balm can't handle. Just Bitten feels weightless on the lips, which is great. I actually tend to forget to touch up sometimes. Oops.On the subject of touching up, Revlon doesn't get very specific about how long their Just Bitten lip stains are supposed to wear. Good thing, because I don't get super wear from Gothic. Gothic fades in a patchy manner after 3 or so hours. The stain is still there, but it's no where near as bright red as when freshly applied.Reapplying in public may draw you a few strange looks. I guess people just aren't used to a girl coloring in her lips with what appears to be a marker with a chapstick stuck on the end. Revlon's Just Bitten stains are the first ones that I haven't noticed a slight artificial, fruity scent or taste, so if you have a scent sensitivity, consider choosing this stain. 
I like Revlon's Just Bitten lip stain in Gothic. I like it equally as much as NYC's Smooch Proof Lip Stain. You won't get hours and hours of wear, unless you layer a lipstick over it; I really like to layer NYX's Sunflower over Gothic. I think the color of Gothic is lovely and a true classic. Good job Revlon, this is the kind of color yinz are good at making. I do think Gothic was a weird name choice for the color. Just Bitten lip stains are pretty pricey for what they are, and I would never pay full price for it, but they're a solid buy if you get the on sale or with a coupon, or better yet, both. I would repurchase this stain if I could get a deal on it. Though Just Bitten isn't a perfect lip stain, they're pretty dang good. Pick one up if you like stains or if any of the colors catch your eye.

Ingredients:
Lip stain: Water, ascorbyl glucoside, VP/methacryalamide/vinyl imidazole copolymer, alcohol denat., fragrance, sodium hydroxide, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, 1,2 hexanediol.

May contain: Red 33 (CI 17200), yellow 5 (CI 19140), red 28 (CI 45410), yellow 6 (CI 15985), blue 1 (CI 42090).

Balm:
 Octyldodecanol, polybutene, polyethylene, synthetic beeswax, mica, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, lecithin, glyceryl stearate, glyceryl oleate, citric acid, benzoic acid

ingredients courtesy of Allure.com 

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...