An ode to my Hammies.




 My little baby ham hams aren't little babies anymore. They're a little over two years old now, and they're starting to slow down. They wake up around 7:30pm, play a bit, forage for fresh food, fill their pouches to the point of nom and cuteness overload, and are back asleep by 11pm. They're starting to get a little chubby and spend a lot of time snuggled up together in their favorite corner, under their ladder. They don't like to be picked up and played with as much as they used to. Peridot in particular seems to be aging, and getting a little bit cranky.
I'm upset about leaving them because it's pretty unlikely that they'll both still be alive when I come home. I'm really attached to Peridot and Pearl, more so than I have been with most of my little friends over the years. I'm going to be so heart broken when they die. So many people think of mice and hamsters as throwaway pets, but to me they're kinda irreplaceable. I'll probably get another ham or two after Peri and Pearl go, but they won't be the same.
For now I'll enjoy our next few days together and think positive that they'll be here waiting for me when I come home, ready for snuggles. Peridot and Pearl have had healthy (aside from Peri losing her tail), happy, and long (for a dwarf hamster) lives. I've had good times with this little fluffs. <3
You know I never understood why there were so many princess themed hamster toys til I got my first hamster, Julie, for my 16th birthday. Playing with her became the highlight of my day, she was my little princess. We only had a year together before she came down with a cold, and after a week or so had a seizure and died in my hands. It's not something I'll ever get over, it was so incredibly sad watching her suffer like that. I hope Peridot and Pearl don't suffer and be sick the way Jules did.

There's something indescribably special about Chinese dwarf hamsters. ^__^

Leave a Comment

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. I myself am a hamster lover, and I understand how hard it is when they get older. One hamster I had lived about 3 years before his heart gave out. And then a few months ago my one year old hamster got pneumonia. I miss them so much. Stay strong. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so sorry about your losses. You're so lucky you got 3 years with one. I once had a mouse make it to 26 months.

      Delete
  2. So cute!!! I remember when I had hamsters when I was younger and they'd always find a way to escape or chew through their cages.

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a hamster escape. Mine are content to scurry around in their cages. I've had a couple mice escapee though. Not funs.

      Delete
  3. They are the cutest ham hams ever n.n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said that you're the cutest daddy ever. n.n

      Delete
  4. oh gosh, your babies are too cute and i hope so hard that they'll be there when you return! its always the hardest thing to loose an animal companion :c

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...