Friday, April 27, 2012

NYC Smooch Proof 16 Hour Lip Stain Review

 New York Color (NYC)'s  Smooch Proof 16 Hour Lip Stain promises to stay put for up to 16 hours. A hard claim to believe from such a hit and miss brand. This line of lip stains is available in 10 shades, I have the shade Champagne Stain. NYC products are not tested on animals. This product was made in Germany, and is gluten free. I purchased this stain at Rite Aid for $4.99 for .10fl oz of product. That's a little steep for NYC, but a good value, generally speaking.
NYC, being a budget brand, isn't known for having excellent packaging. Their products usually come in very plain, kinda cheap packaging. Smooch Proof, on the other hand, actually looks kinda cute. Packaging is a plastic, marker style tube with a cap that snaps on firmly, protecting the product from drying out. The cap takes effort to remove, so don't worry too much about tossing this stain in your purse or makeup bag. The plastic tube is color coordinated with the color of the stain, and features the name of the product written in silver lettering. 

 Removing the cap reveals a felt tip marker, that comes to a fine point. The applicator is quite precise, and can be used to create thin lines, for lining the lips, or for making thicker strokes, that fill in the lips. The tip is not as moist and saturated with product as the Palladio lip stain, but more moist than the Covergirl Outlast Lip Stain. Smooch Proof lip stain applies pretty well. It goes on evenly and the tip doesn't dry while you apply it.
The color of Champagne Stain is pretty variable. It applies very, very sheerly, so the resulting color depends on your natural lip color. I have pretty pigmented lips, so on me, Champagne Stain turns into a medium berry-red. It looks similar to my natural lip color, just amplified. I like it. It suits me quite well.
 So is this lip stain really really smooch proof? Yes. It sets on the lips almost immediately, making it almost completely transfer proof. My lovely assistant, Dean, hasn't bee around for me to test the actual "smooch proof" claim, but it seems true to me.
So does this lip stain really last 16 hours? Heck no. Heck no at all. For me, Champagne Stain wears 3 to 5 hours, which isn't bad at all, but no where near the 16 hour claim. To be fair, NYC only said their Smooch Proof stains could last up to 16 hours. But in my book, if you put a time frame in a product's name, it's a promise. They broke their promise :(. Like many lip stains, this one fades off unevenly, and a little bit patchy. Reapplication evens it back out though.
Like many lip stains, NYC Smooch Proof lip stains feel pretty dry on the lips. It's not so uncomfortable that you can't wear this lip stain alone, but it feels much better with a lip gloss on top. It also looks better, because it makes your lips look smoother. Wearing a gloss over the stain does compromise the wear slightly, shaving off an hour or so of the wear time.
NYC's Smooch Proof lip stains don't have a taste to them, but they do have a the same artificial fruity scent all lip stains seem to have. It's not a strong scent though, so it likely won't both you, unless you're incredibly sensitive to scents.
So how do I feel about NYC's Smooch Proof 16 Hour Lip Stains? They're pretty good! Champagne Stain is a pretty color that suits me really well. The packaging is kinda cute and pretty functional. Out of the three lip stains I've put to the test, this one applies the best. This isn't a perfect lip stain, it's dry on the lips, and is only ok in the wear department, but this lip stain is good for the price. I recommend it if you're curious about trying a lip stain but don't want to invest a bunch into it, or if you want to try several shades. I might give another shade a try some time.

Ingredients:
Water, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol, Peg-30, Glyceryl Stearate, PVP, PEG/PPG-14, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance, Panthenol, Methylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Limonene

May Contain:
Red 40, Red 28, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, D&C Red 33, FD&C Blue 1
not a product if you want to avoid parabens. 

5 comments:

  1. I have been on the fence about purchasing these lip stains because I have super dry lips. Great review hun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. If your lips are that dry, I'd skip it and go for Revlon's Just Bitten instead, or maybe Mark.'s Gloss Gorgeous Lip Stain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to test these claims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picked one of these up and it's the best lip stain I've tried so far. Which is crazy bc of how cheap it is! I got it for under $3 at Walmart. I have really dry lips and every other kind of stain I've tried has made the cracks look really bad. I just apply blistex over this a couple of times a day and it looks great and lasts for a long time. + it's super cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree its one of the best! That's great that it works well for you!

      Delete

Be nice. Don't use my comments as advertising space. Please don't ask for a follow back, I check every blog that follows me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...