Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque Review




Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque is a drugstore skincare classic. This is a clay based, mint scented and infused mask. This mask promises to "help dry up acne, pimples, rinse away blackheads, and shrink enlarged pores" This mask is vegan and cruelty free. I purchased my 8oz tube from WalMart for less than $3.

Packaging is a basic white up-right squeeze tube with a green screw on cap. Standard. One problem I have with this tube is the product getting stuck at the top. I'm not sure how to deal with this yet, but I'll probably cut the top off and dig the product out and into a jar. On the subject of jars, this product is also available in a jar, but I've heard that it tends to dry out, so I'll stick to the tube.

The mask is green, thick, and heavily mint scented. If you don't like mint I think it'd be best to avoid this mask all together. In my opinion though, it smells delicious when freshly applied. After a while, the mint smell fades, and you start to smell the sulfur and clay. This mask is pretty thick, you don't need much of it to cover your whole face and neck. It spreads easily and smoothly. How thick you apply it is a matter of personal preference, but try not to apply it too thick, or else it won't dry correctly. Because of the mint and sulfur in the mask, it can tingle or sting a little when first applied. After 5-8 minutes, the mask turns from green to white. It starts to look flaky and gross. All your pores look very apparent.

To remove the mask, you're supposed to wash it off with warm water and a washcloth. Be warned this will stain light colored towels. Removal is slightly difficult. A little bit always seems to stay on not matter how thoroughly I rinse my face. It usually comes off with some toner though.

This mask is excellent at soaking up excess oil and shrinking pores. You can see the oil it's soaked up, especially when used as a spot treatment. After removal, my skin feels a little bit tight (in a good way), and very smooth. It's also slightly red, I think from the sulfur. The redness disappears if I splash my face with cold water and apply moisturizer. Don't use this mask too often, as it can be quite drying. I use it every 4 days and spot treat as needed.

I recommend this super affordable and widely available mask. Its a classic and a staple in a lot of people's skin care routine. This mask is great for oily and combination skin and as a spot treatment for any skin type. It may be too drying for dry skin, being a clay based mask. Because of the mint and sulfur it may be too strong for sensitive skin. Overall this mask is great. At first I didn't notice much of a difference, but after 3 or 4 uses, I really noticed an improvement in my skin. The value of this mask is unbeatable, at 8oz for less than $3. Try it, there's a lot to gain and very little money to lose.

Leave a Comment

  1. I've used this product for years and loved it. I do have sensitive skin, however, and it is quite drying. I just did this review for the product. I hope you'll check it out: http://www.curlsnob.com/post/12057260666/its-only-skin-deep-goodbye-mint-julep-masque

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know you love your mints

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...